Thursday, June 27, 2013

Back on the trails!!

What a wonderful day!  A day to finally get back on the trails!

My last trail run with my sister was May 11th!  That is 47 days ago! So, I was so pumped to hit them again today for the first time in what seemed like ages.  But then.....

Last night I got terribly sick.  I was so nauseous that I actually went to bed at 9 PM (very unlike me).  I didn't know what was wrong; recovery issues, stomach bug, who knows.  I knew when I woke up this morning I would be devastated if I was too sick to run.

No, a rooster didn't actually crow this morning to wake me up.  I only have hens.  But my iPhone did wake me playing lovely harp music.  I slowly sat up and waited to see if the nausea was still present.  Waited.  Waited.  GONE!!  Hooray I would be trail running today!!

I was so excited, that I was forgetting everything.  IT was  as if I'd never ran before.  Went out the door, forgot my watch.  Back out the door, forgot my bag.  Out the door once more, where's my water.  Finally had myself together, out the door for last time.  Before pulling out of the driveway I sent Michele the usual "I'm on my way" text. But this time my text said; "Leaving now. OH BOY!"

When I got to the bottom of my hill, Michele had not yet responded back.  Did she remember?

Ten minutes later, the weirdest thing happened.  Suddenly I had no idea where I was.  I had no idea which road I was on or anything.  I slowed down and frantically looked at landmarks.  Where am I?  Was this some strange side effect from taking so much medication for so long?

It only took me a few seconds (though it seemed longer) to realize where I was.  Going the right way!  But still no response from Michele.  She better be awake!!

It is about a 30 minute drive for me to get to my sister's house.  It wasn't until I had been on the road for 20 MINUTES that I finally received a smiley face response to my earlier text.  OK, at least I knew she was up and happy to go as well.

The trail we picked for today was Seaman's Gulch.  This is because the hills are friendly and it's a pretty short loop.  This being my first trail run in so long I had no idea what to expect.  It was a warm morning so although we were running a short run we still knew we'd need to carry water.  PROBLEM. I cannot wear a hydration belt right now.  So, Michele had to carry my water for me.  She said she was going to be my mule.

Hey, I thought, not having to carry my own water, I could get used to this!!!

I was so excited to go, FINALLY!  Michele snapped a picture of me when we started.  Can't you just feel my joy??

I would have loved to do a "fast Cory" leap and I felt like doing one, but my new tumor-free body is not quite ready for that yet.
We ran Seaman's counter-clockwise.  Michele felt it would have less jarring of a downhill if we did.  We had never ran it this way and it was an absolutely genius idea.  I felt pretty good, a little tired.  Then suddenly, here comes the nausea again. Oh No!!  Time to stop for a water break.
I looked at my watch, WHAT!?!?  "We have only gone .8 of a mile!"  I shouted.  I was breathing heavy and so tired and nauseous!!  Then I remembered something Laura had left as a comment on my last blog:
Measure your progress from what is in your life now, not what you were capable of before. Enjoy getting strong again!
I shared it with Michele.  What great advice.  It really helped me out at that moment on the trail. So, thank you so much Laura!!
After the first mile there was really no more climbing.  I felt great and ran at least 75% of the run!  It felt so good to be out there again.  I loved it!

I couldn't have asked for better weather or a better running partner.  We did 2.68 miles in 31 minutes. Not too shabby for us gals!!

So today, I ended the nightmare of a chapter that I have been living for 6 weeks.  I can now do nothing but look ahead to greater runs and happier days!!