Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Can't See where I am going because of all the SWEAT in my eyes!

For the past few days we have had some very unsettled weather.  The thunderstorms have been a welcome break in the blazing inferno heat we have had day after day after day.  I have really enjoyed the break...that is until I realized what would happen when I ran.

So the run was in the Polecat Gulch, we have ran this several times.  It's a 6 mile loop with some challenging but doable hills.  When we run Polecat it is meant to be a moderate run, not hard at all.  Today we hit the trail at a little after 8:00 AM.  It was in the high 60s so I thought....PERFECT WEATHER.

As we ran I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.  I was sweating like crazy.  And my breathing was so loud and labored.  What is going on???  Turns out we were running in over 80% humidity!  Not something I enjoyed.

I started to sweat so bad that it looked like I had just showered in my clothes.  Sweat was dripping off of my chin like a liquid goatee.  I couldn't keep my forehead dry and soon, I could barely see where I was even going.  The weirdest part, I wasn't hot.  Shoot I wasn't even warm!  I am not geared for this humidity garbage.

So I got to thinking, what am I geared for?  If I could turn a dial and select the weather for my runs, what would I set the dial at?

Once when I was running in Las Vegas I met a guy who told me his favorite temp to run is was triple digits. He must have a slight chemical balance in his brain to like that!  When the mercury gets over 60 I start to hate it!  I recently posted this exact question on a Trail Running FB group page to see how other local runners would vote.  The majority of the responders agreed with 30-50 degrees.  I must admit though while I agree with tat, there is a part of me that secretly loves the frigid single digits!

But, all things considered, we survived what I will forever remember as the Humidity run of 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment