Friday, June 21, 2013

My recovery by the numbers

It has been 32 days since my surgery!!  It is so hard to believe everything that I have gone through.  It's been a whirlwind of numbers......

45 - days since my tumor was discovered
32 - days since my surgery
15 - pounds I lost
8 - weight of my tumor
8 - inches, length of my incision
4 - sleepless nights because I was allergic to the surgical tape (horrible rash!)
10 - number of staples I had
1 - shower chair that was a heaven send
4 - days spent in the hospital
3 - weeks before I could sneeze without blacking out because of the pain
112 - number of pain pills I took (glad I am not addicted!)
10 - days I have been pain pill free
5 - days since my first walk
.6 - miles on my first walk
4.36 - miles that I walk/ran today!
12.07 - miles I have logged in this week so far
6 - days until my first trail walk/run with my sole sisters ( I am SO excited!!)
29 - days until my first post-surgery race (which I will be super slow at)


For awhile I felt like I was NEVER going to be able to recover.  Time was going so slowly and simple things would tire me out.  Then Sunday, Father's Day, my husband said, "Let's go on a walk."  I was super slow and we didn't go far but something changed THAT DAY.  And I am never looking back!

It is humbling to realize how far I still have to go.  I was running anywhere between a 7:45 and 8:30 pace depending on the length of the run.  I used to say that it wasn't worth my time to head out for a run unless I did at LEAST 5 miles.  And now, I am so happy to do any amount!  When I walked .6 miles I was telling everyone because I was so proud of myself. 

I definitely have a long way to go before I am back into my marathon shape.  My goals and perspectives have been altered a great deal.  But there is nothing better than when someone asks me how I am and I can smile and say, "I do NOT have cancer!!!"

6 comments:

  1. I am soooo proud of you and sooo excited for your "baby steps"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing amazing!!! The best part of all of it is that you are cancer free!! You'll be back to your routine in time...enjoy each step of your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I have been wondering about your recovery. I am glad to hear you are well and on the move again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping to start hitting the trails again soon Carol! Wish me luck!

      Delete
    2. Hoping to start hitting the trails again soon Carol! Wish me luck!

      Delete
  4. Measure your progress from what is in your life now, not what you were capable of before. Enjoy getting strong again!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete